Ingredients: QTY Unit
Ada 1.5 kg
Jaggery 5 kg
Ghee 1 kg
Green cardamom powder 50 gm
Coconut Milk Powder 1.5 kg
Raisins 100 gm
Cashewnuts 100 gm
Fresh Coconut Slivers 200 gm
(of 1 coconut)
1. Melt jaggery and keep aside.
2. Boil water and keep the ada in it till it is cooked soft. Strain after 10 minutes and keep aside.
1. Mix the melted jaggery with the cooked ada and stir for ten minutes in low fire.
2. Dilute 1 kg of coconut milk powder with 10 litres of water and add to the above mixture.
3. Boil this until it becomes thick. Take it off the fire and add coconut milk extract(, i.e., ½ kg of coconut milk powder mixed with 1 litres of water).
4. Fry the coconut slivers till golden brown in ghee and then add cashew and raisins and fry till the raisins puff up fully.
5. Garnish the payasam, add cardamom powder and serve hot.
The payasam is golden brown in colour, having semi-thick consistency, and a predominant flavour of cardamom powder, with a garnish of fresh coconut, uniformly cut and fried to golden brown colour.